Monday, March 30, 2009

....And we're back......

It's Monday, back to work, swimming, chores, laundry, routine.,...which now doesn't seem quite so bad. The weather at the Wa coast was horrendous this weekend, but the Bluegrass festival was great! I feel refreshed, just needed a little dose of something simpler (is that a word?). Even the performers said, this is such uplifting music with the most depressing lyrics. Saw alot of VERY GOOD musicians and performers and they were so friendly and welcoming to amateurs who were there to learn. Very friendly, genuinly nice people, I needed a dose of that. There was even this cutest little lady, probably at least mid 70's that passed out a platter of cookies to the audience several times during the performances. She walked up and down the aisles like an usher, giving out her homemade cookies. Now if that doesn't restore your faith in people? We were invited to come "jam" with a group that meets just an hr or so from us once a month. They informed us that the critics stay home :) and it's just fun. I can do that. Lots of people brought their own instruments, I was too chicken. Not one person there had a hammered or mountain dulcimer. I will be a novelty next time. Good, less intimidating that way! The really good musicians seem to have the ability to swap out their banjo and pick up fiddle or mandolin, flat pick a dobro or bass, and play it just as well. What is the deal? If you play one instrument, you mght as well play 5? I do not have "the gift",...it is work and alot of it, for me. Mark has it, he can play guitar, bass, slide guitar/dobro, and is thinking about picking up the mandolin and banjo. He can just hear what the music should be. I am so jealous I could poke them all with a stick! Mark just pats me and says,.."yeah, but hon, you can sing." Well, thank goodness or I will be the token "slow girl" of the multi talented gifted ones. There were these kids (early 20's, maybe younger) that were freakin' geniuses! A term I have only reserved for the likes of Guns N Roses til now. Amazing! They are on their way to being huge in the music world! And I have decided the mountain music I like is somewhere between the old bluegrass twangy gospel/Emmylou Harris (like my granparents church) and the fast, incredibly accurate, musical geniuses we saw this weekend. Check this out on you tube. And NO ONE looked like a hillbilly! www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VV-CL9Hz7c&feature=related
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTA5l6Zt4n8
www.youtube.com/watch?v=81skns6Z0ZI

1 comment:

Orange said...

you're discovering MY music. Rosalie Sorrels, Loreena McKennit, only you can make music, not just listen. I am jealous.