Sunday, June 29, 2008

Piano Tuner

So ,..this guy takes his job SERIOUS!The piano tuner arrived,...only took him about 7 hrs to do this project. First he and Mark had to go through every piece of wood, string, leather,...even discuss the type of glue between pieces of wood! Fascinating,..not! That took about 1 1/2 hrs. We were given many rules! Told me I clearly had made an emotional purchase, saying he deduced that by the antiques we had around the house. I was informed that "lucky for me" I actually got a fantastic instrument also. I was not allowed to have children near it, never dust the inside, no furniture polish anywhere, no candle or heat sources near it, nothing sitting on it, if I insisted, had to have a doily underneath, away from windows,..even had to run a humidity tester all day to check the humidity level in the house at all times of day! Then we were told we had to be quiet all day, no dishwasher, washer/dryer, blowdryer, weedeater, mower, anything,...all day,..so as not to distract his "ear" while he worked. I was picturing myself going thru the neighborhood asking people to be quiet. It went okay,..by the end of the day he was telling me about his daughter, how she was a chatterbox, and his wife dying. I must have that kind of face! Anyway, many hrs and dollars later our piano sounds great, and we have a new friend,..providing I don't break any piano rules.

1 comment:

jennifer newkirk said...

Hmmmm...how did they play that piano back in the day before electricity...without candles? Or isn't it that old? He sounds like a character. I think you were lucky to have found him. Good job on the blog...it's fun isn't it?