So with wise plans of physicians, and the trial and error reality of my coping with this lupus/mixed connective tissue disease,.I have managed to be sick,..inpatient hospital sick every summer since living in Washington. And 2009 is no exception. I was started on a new immuno suppressant (usually used to prevent organ transplant rejection) about a montha go, along with the plaquenil and prednisone ( my other wonder steroid) to try to reduce the ongoing joint pain problems. Lo and behold, by the end of the month trial,..I am incredibly "immunosuppressed",..I have pneumonia,..in July,..again. So this week required a trip to the Emergency Room, a lumbar puncture for a non receding headache, and chest xrays, Dilaudid, Vicodin, and antibiotics. Missed some work, made the Dr office rounds, and am starting over, higher steroids, no immunospuupressant drugs for a month then start over again, double strength, and try not to catch any bugs floating by. Problemis the higher steroids fool me, I feel like I could plow a field, reality is my body is worn out, so have to use some restraint,...not always my strong area. I am going to go talk to the HR people about adjusting my hrs around to help me get this chronic disease under control. For those of you who are prayers,..bring it on. My goal is to work 4 10 hr shifts a week with a day off in the middle to recoup. Since this is chronic and not "fixed" by taking a week or two off, it is a little more challenging to find some life balance. So my boss is supportive, it's just trying to make it fit with in the HR employment parameters that may be tricky,..but maybe not. Seems totally reasonable to anyone I've discussed it with so far,...but as we all know, rules and policy don't always reflect common sense. So keep me on your prayer list, praying that I show some wisdom in saying enough is enough (Pam knows what I mean) and willing employers to work with what's best for me. This is how I feel,..minus the bottle,...but God bless my comfort zone of bleach and Pine Sol,...I am happy to say good bye to JULY!!!!

1 comment:
4 ten-hour shifts? I'm tired just thinking about that. You poor thing, I am facing almost the same problem with my Rheum Athritis. I'm also on Plaquenil and jus switched from Prednisone to Methotrexate. I seem to have some immune system left but my gosh, even bruises take forever to heal!
So glad you have a supportive boss. I wish you extra-strong hand sanitizer. Better yet, maybe you shold bathe in it!
Post a Comment