ALRIGHT,...so get ready,..this is an awesome story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!When I left Tehachapi, I left an upright piano that had been in my family for 3 generations. It was pretty, but mostly lots of memories attached, good and bad. It was sooo not worth the emotional turmoil involved to go back and get it. So I left it and never looked back,...I have no idea where it ended up.
I bought myself a keyboard for Christmas the next year, but anyone who plays piano knows a keyboard is not the same, keys aren't weighted, just doesn't feel or sound the same. When I married Mark he kept saying ..."we could go back and get your piano, I feel bad you don't have one, I can get you another one". I insisted no not worth it, don't really NEED one, etc,... About two weeks ago I was looking for something on Craigslist, and thought I would just see what pianos are worth in this area. I was not interested until I found one in Portland (above) and fell in love, just gorgeous! A victorian square grand piano from the 1850's, and only $550. Yeah right!
So after work I hesitantly mentioned to Mark that I saw this gorgeous piano online today. I have to be careful, if he thinks I really want something, he jumps on it immediately. While that trait is touching, flattering, and all that,..I have learned to be careful with what I mention. He said if you really want it I'll call tomorrow. Being my extremely conservative self, I had already been thinking about it all day and told him if we could get it for that price and it played well,..definitely. He emailed me at work the next morning to tell me it had already been sold. In just one night! We joked about how "what was God thinking,..he knew I needed THAT piano", who was the horrible soul that bought it before me! Even the people I work with were laughing that who would dare buy something I had actually decided should be for me. All in good fun, to ease the disappointment. And as I feared, Mark went on a research assignment to find out everything there is to know about these kind of pianos,...long (and many articles)story short,...they are pretty rare, all made early 1800's to early 1900's. Most are now body damaged, missing strings/keys, most tuners won't touch them, and people really just use them now for show, not playing. Sad. Mark found one in Canada, a few collector pieces, and all of them between $5,000 and $30,000 dollars, in various forms of disrepair. I told him forget it, just not meant to be,..for some reason this "one" piano just caught my eye, I don't need a piano anyway, etc,....
Well,...this morning,..when I got to work,..this is the email I got,..
My Sweetie,
Unless you say "don't do it" I'm buying this piano for you today on my lunch hour: http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/msg/684996113.html I just called and spoke with the woman who owns it. (Her name is Marilyn.) I asked her if she had ever had it tuned, and she said "yes." I told her I would get my car and the cash and come buy the piano at noon today. But, do you still want one of these? I could just go there with the money and test it and see if it sounds decent or not. If not, I could use that as an excuse and walk away from it. I'll do my best to test it today. I'm sitting here tapping my foot and waiting for 11:00 to roll around so I can leave and go test it.
Love, Mark
Well, don't you know it was the exact piano I had seen originally. Apparently the buyer didn't come get it, then they had an appraiser that was going to buy it, and he backed out also. Both without even showing up! So, sure enough Mark went to see it at his lunch hour, played it, tried all the pedals , keys, looked at the strings, and found out the couple had it tuned. It played excellent, not a dent or ding in it. Carved rosewood, and very well cared for. So, Mark found a specialty piano mover that will deliver it to me on Thurs morning!!!!!!!
The history is that it was brought here from New York by the 4th mayor of Portland in 1850. He kept it until his death and it remained in his "historical home tour" on display,..at the Josiah Failing House. Then it went to a museum in Milwaukie, OR, until this older couple bought it to display (they don't play) in their turn of the century Victorian home as a showpiece. Now they are moving soon (actually very close to where we live, they can come visit it) and just won't be able to take it. And still for only $550, it would appraise for more than 10 times that easily! (But God knows my brain could not rationalize spending that!)
I am feeling very blessed today! God is paying attention even to my "silly, superficial'" desires......and I have a husband that loves me enough to try to fulfill my every wish,..so I try to make them far and few between and thus am careful what I wish for!!!!! Interesting to hear my coworkers who have been aware of this little saga say "well if that isn't totally a God thing",..I agree.
More good news,...I am accepted to the U of Wa Ethics course. The physician director at our hospital emailed and said he would like to arrange for hospital funding to pay for my time, tuition, and hotel arrangements. Also said he would like to include me in a "very short list" (his words) of invitations to join the hospital ethics consultation board. I believe I am the only nurse,the preference has been physicians. WOW! What an opportunity! I am thrilled. I was told that his recommendation is a huge honor. The best part is this will be something I absolutely love. I always thought that unless I pursued a masters, this would be totally out of reach for me. Apparently with the "here and there" education I have done (just related to interest) I am told I have been on an education track that is "quite compatible with ethics consultation". So,...YEAH!!!!!! Big excitement for me today............
No comments:
Post a Comment